Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome to the New Year

Given that lying around on my couch, feeling fat, gross, and self-pitying wasn't really working wonders for me, tonight I took my dog for a long walk.  I even jogged about a mile of it, just because it felt good to remember that I could.  I haven't been running in a few months, since...maybe September or October?  It's not a good sign when I don't remember.  I haven't even been on a real walk with the dog for a while.  I've walked around the block a few times, but mostly, since it got cold, I've just let her out in the back yard.  The funny thing is, it doesn't seem as cold when I'm walking instead of standing on the back porch watching her wander around.  Doh.

I suffer from an inertia problem, by which I mean that I will generally continue to do what I have been doing.  If work has kept me moving from meeting to task to meeting for fourteen hours a day, when I finally get a chance to stop, I don't know what to do with myself.  If I've been on vacation for a week, I have a hard time readjusting to being back in the office and actually getting things done.  If I go walking or running a few days in a row, I will mostly likely continue to do so until something interrupts that routine.  If I have been sitting on my couch in my spare time, that will probably continue until my slothishness gets to me so much that it propels me out the door.

Here's hoping this has been the interruption of the lazy inertia, and the beginning of the, "Hey, let's do something" inertia.

Tomorrow I go back to work after a week of vacation.  Okay, I worked on Sunday morning, but it was pretty low-key, just church as usual.  This week everything flies back into full swing to get ready for our major fundraising event and the upcoming mission trip.  I'm feeling pretty good about that at the moment, like I might even get up early and walk to work tomorrow morning.  But that might be pushing tonight's energy spurt a bit far.

No comments:

Post a Comment