Thursday, April 28, 2011

Adventures in Supervising

Today I get to fire someone.  That is, if he ever calls me back.  I tell you, the fun never stops around here.  My first message of the day was "There has been an explosion."  Fortunately, not a literal one - which wasn't actually out of the question given the organization I'm dealing with.  It's a drop-in center for what are generally considered to be the most troubled and disadvantaged kids and teenagers in our community.  Our relationship with them has been interesting, to say the least.  On the positive side, it's been a lesson in some of the dynamics of the grittier side of the city.  Less positively, although the intent is good, the organization is pretty dysfunctional.  I feel like I've been on the phone with their director non-stop for a month.  Oh wait, I kind of have.  The last straw incident involved an employee screaming, cursing, and punching walls and doors, in the presence of small children no less.  

One of my other supervisees - a considerably less troubling one - asked me today if the things I handle in my job are normal duties for most ministers.  I'm going to guess that's a no.  But that's a good thing.  If nothing else, I am never bored.

Tonight is the second round of the discussion group I recently started.  It's going to be a really strange conglomeration of people and perspectives, sitting around and talking about issues of faith, spirituality, etc.  The topic on the table tonight, unless someone else brings something, is organized religion, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Last month was fun; we talked about what we don't believe about God, and mixed-religion relationships.  Hopefully people will actually show up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment